Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Such an inspired dish by Gretchen McKay posted in Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Make and share this Mexican Chicken and Shrimp Rice Bowl recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 3⁄4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 -2 tablespoon fajita seasoning mix
- 1 lime, juice and zest of, plus extra juice to squeeze on rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 sweet onion, sliced thin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups hot cooked white rice or 4 cups brown rice
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- shredded lettuce
- lime wedge
- tortilla chips
- chopped jalapeno
- To season chicken and shrimp: In large bowl, toss chicken and shrimp with fajita seasoning. Add lime juice and lime zest. Toss and set aside.
- To stir-fry vegetables: In large skillet, bring 2 tablespoons oil to a sizzle. Add garlic, pepper and onion. Stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft and slightly charred. Remove to plate.
- To cook chicken and shrimp: Wipe out pan. Add remaining oil. Heat over medium-high heat until oil sizzles. Add chicken and shrimp. Stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp is pink and chicken is crispy brown. (Note: If you're worried about overcooking shrimp, cook separately.) Season with salt and pepper. Return vegetables to pan. Stir. Reduce heat to keep warm.
- To prepare beans: Rinse and drain black beans. Heat in microwave or on stove top until warm.
- To assemble: Place 1 cup rice in bowl. Squeeze a little lime juice on top. Spoon on 1/2 cup beans. Add one-quarter of chicken/shrimp mixture and shredded cheese. Add topping as desired.