Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
- Cut the tortillas into 1/4 inch strips.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil over med.-high heat. Fry the tortilla strips until crunchy. Drain and set aside.
- In a soup pot, melt the butter over med. heat. Saute the onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro and garlic in the butter until the tomatoes are soft. Add the chicken broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add the rice and seasonings. Boil until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat. Add the chicken and simmer for 15 minutes. If the rice absorbs too much of the liquid, add more chicken broth.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with tortilla strips and cheese before serving.