A delicious, nutritious and easy soup!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapenos
- 1 1/2 cups chopped roma tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (6 ounce) box uncle ben's Mexican rice mix or 1 (6 ounce) box rice a roni Spanish rice and vermicelli mix
- 1 cup chopped cooked white chicken meat
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1Cut the tortillas into 1/4 inch strips.
- 2In a large saute pan, heat the oil over med.-high heat. Fry the tortilla strips until crunchy. Drain and set aside.
- 3In a soup pot, melt the butter over med. heat. Saute the onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro and garlic in the butter until the tomatoes are soft. Add the chicken broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add the rice and seasonings. Boil until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- 4Reduce the heat. Add the chicken and simmer for 15 minutes. If the rice absorbs too much of the liquid, add more chicken broth.
- 5Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with tortilla strips and cheese before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.5
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 52.2 mg
- Sodium 1294.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 23.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Mexican rice mix