Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious, nutritious and easy soup!
Make and share this Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapenos
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped roma tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (6 ounce) boxuncle ben's Mexican rice mix or 1 (6 ounce) boxrice a roni Spanish rice and vermicelli mix
- 1 cup chopped cooked white chicken meat
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cut the tortillas into 1/4 inch strips.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil over med.-high heat. Fry the tortilla strips until crunchy. Drain and set aside.
- In a soup pot, melt the butter over med. heat. Saute the onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro and garlic in the butter until the tomatoes are soft. Add the chicken broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add the rice and seasonings. Boil until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat. Add the chicken and simmer for 15 minutes. If the rice absorbs too much of the liquid, add more chicken broth.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with tortilla strips and cheese before serving.