Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Quick and easy chicken and rice with a Mexican flair. A Southern Living recipe.
Make and share this Mexican Chicken and Rice Skillet recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained (or rotel)
- 1 1⁄4 ounces taco seasoning mix
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄4 ounces canned sliced ripe olives
- 1 cup rice, long grain, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Combine flour and seasoned salt in a large zip-top plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and shake to coat chicken.
- Brown chicken in hot oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add tomatoes and next five ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese.
Yummy. I made this with leftover chicken and a home blended Mexican spice mix. So easy to make and it delivers marvelous flavor. I think I'm keeping this recipe :D. Made for PAC, Fall 2012.
Oh so good! Mild Rotel tomatoes give it just a little heat. No ripe olives in the pantry, but sliced green onions made a great garnish, and I added a few diced red and green bell peppers with the onion. Highly recommended recipe! Thank you.
I made just a few changes like adding corn and changing the water to chicken stock because I had a box in the fridge that needed to be used. My husband LOVED it! Thanks!