Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A very tasty casserole, I really think you will enjoy this!
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/4 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and roughly chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 8 -9 chicken pieces (skin removed if desired)
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute onion, bell pepper and garlic until softened.
- Add in beans, tomatoes, broth, chilies, corn, rice, chili powder, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a 1-gallon plastic bag, combine flour, garlic salt and paprika; shake the bag to mix spices.
- Add in the chicken pieces and shake to coat.
- Place the chicken in a single layer on top of rice; press lightly into rice.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the chicken if fork-tender, and the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove foil, bake an additional 15 minutes to brown chicken.
We loved this recipe! We thought it was very tasty and not a crumb was left behind.<br/>The only thing I did different was combine all ingredients together (without cooking them first), placed them in the dish, and then added the chicken....<br/>Oh, and I did have to cook longer, 'cause I used brown rice (it was all I had).<br/>Thank you for posting this recipe, it was made a great meal. We will be making it again soon!
I was looking for a recipe for chicken/rice casserole that was delicious and easy - without using a can of cream of ___ soup. This completely fits the bill! It takes a tad bit longer to prepare than the cream of casseroles - but not that much, really - and I think it's totally worth it! I prepared it ahead and just kept it in fridge for a few hours till ready to cook -and that worked out fine. It was a very filling and pretty healthy one dish meal. All I did differently was to use black beans instead of kidney (I just don't like kidney beans at all) and I used only 1 cup frozen corn - and added 1 cup frozen peas. For chicken, I used boneless, skinless breasts. Coating the chicken was a really nice touch! The flavor is really good - not bland or too spicy. I do like spicy, so next time I will probably add jalapenos and cumin -- but, the flavor as written was not too bland for me at all (I think I probably added 2x the chili powder, though)! It's a really nice recipe - and I felt good making such an easy and delicious casserole w/o using the can of cream of ____ . It felt lighter and fresher than the cream ofs (even the red. fat varieties ) Everyone in my family loved this and def wants it again. I served it w/ Mexican sweet corn cake (Mexican Sweet Corn Cake) and fried plantains - dessert was my Tres Leches cake. Perfection! Thanks for a great recipe!
Very tasty indeed! Very nice filling meal. Used 6 chicken breasts and diced tomatoes. We enjoyed it and can't wait to have the leftovers!! Thanks Kit!