Recipe by damourantjis
My favourite chicken recipe, it's the best ever!This dish improves with time and is best made a day in advance
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken portions
- salt and pepper
- 25 ml oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finey chopped
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 15 ml butter
- 30 ml cake flour
- 25 ml tomato paste
- 15 ml grape wine vinegar
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 250 ml medium cream sherry
- 50 ml raisins, soaked in cold water
- 20 stuffed green olives
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180'C or 350'F.
- Grease an ovenproof dish with margerine.
- Season the chicken portions with S&P and brown in hot oil.
- Remove from the pan and arrange in the dish.
- Saute the onions, garlic, green and red pepper in hot oil until tender.
- Spoon over the chicken portions.
- Add the butter to the oil in the pan and melt.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cake flour, stir to a smooth paste.
- Add the tomatoe paste, grape vinegar and chicken stock, mixing well.
- Heat, stirring continously until the mixture comes to the boil.
- Add the sherry and bring to the boil once more.
- Add the raisins and pour over chicken.
- Cover and bake for about 35 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add the olives about 10 minutes before the chicken is due to come out of the oven.
- Serve with rice and a green salad.