Cook1 hr 15 mins
A slightly modified version of a recipe from Easy International Cooking that is really bursting with flavour. With the chillies leave the seeds if you like some heat, remove the seeds if you want a little less heat or leave them out all together for a mild result. It is great served with crusty bread and also re-heats well. I've specified thigh meat because it's cheaper and works well, but you can use breast or other cuts as well.
- 1 kg chicken thigh pieces, diced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 8 hot green chili peppers, sliced (optional)
- 425 g diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 310 g corn kernels, drained
- 1 capsicum, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup green olives (pitted or stuffed)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- Dust chicken in flour, shake off excess and sprinkle with pepper.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and brown chicken, then transfer to a casserole dish leaving oil behind.
- Add onions and garlic to the same pan and cook until tender.
- Add chillies, tomato, chicken stock, wine, chilli flakes and oregano and bring to the boil stirring occasionally.
- Pour over the top of the chicken in the casserole dish and bake for one hour at 180C (350F).
- Remove a little of the cooking liquid and mix through the cornflour.
- Stir through the corn, capsicum, olives and cornflour in the casserole dish. Season with additional pepper if desired.
- Bake a further 15 minutes or until thickened.