Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Seasoned black beans, salsa and red bell pepper partnered with chicken make a robust and spicy meal.
- 6 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (20 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Arrange the chicken pieces in a 3 quart casserole dish or a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Combine the salsa, red bell pepper, cumin, lemon juice, chili powder and garlic.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken. Pour the black beans on top and cover.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with rice if desired.
Very much enjoyed this - it was lovely and very filling. If I was to make knowing I was going to reheat, I'd mix the beans in with the rest of the mixture as the beans on the top were dry after reheating. Also, was fantastic as it was but I think I may try using more peppers (red, green and yellow as well as more in quantity) and perhaps some jalepenos to give it a kick. All of these are just thoughts, though - as I said it was fantastic as per the recipe.
My very picky husband loved it and a few friends have asked for the recipe, for a non-cook like me that was a huge compliment!