Recipe by Bayhill
This salad goes together very quickly, and is great for those times when you don't really feel like cooking.
Top Review by K9 Owned
We loved this salad - what a great meal for a blazing hot day. Super tasty and the dressing is awesome. I did have a mini-meltdown while making it though. I am not as familiar as some with Mexican and southwest flavours so when I saw chili and cumin to taste I was at a loss as to where to start. I posted in the Q &A forum here and was given a rough ratio of 2-1 chili powder to cumin. I'm really glad I checked because I would have blithely used equal parts cumin and chili which I gather could have made this very nasty. For other 'beginner' Tex Mex cooks I used 1 Tbsp of chili (it was a mild one) and just a little over 1 tsp each of cumin and garlic powder.
Thanks for the great meal! Made for The Bistro Babes ZWT 8
- 453.59 g ground beef
- chili powder, to taste
- cumin, to taste
- garlic salt, to taste
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 425.24 g can garbanzo beans, drained
- 425.24 g can kidney beans, drained
- 118.29 ml black olives, sliced
- 226.79 g bag tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 453.59 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 236.59 ml mayonnaise
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 78.07 ml jarred salsa or 78.07 ml picante sauce, to taste
- 4.92-7.39 ml cumin, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef in a skillet. Season with chili powder, cumin, and garlic salt to taste. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Combine all salad ingredients. Toss to mix well.
- Prepare dressing and pour over top. Toss and serve.
- Combine all dressing ingredients at least an hour in advance. Refrigerate until ready to use.