This salad goes together very quickly, and is great for those times when you don't really feel like cooking.
- 1 lb ground beef
- chili powder, to taste
- cumin, to taste
- garlic salt, to taste
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) bag tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup jarred salsa or 1⁄3 cup picante sauce, to taste
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, to taste
- Brown ground beef in a skillet. Season with chili powder, cumin, and garlic salt to taste. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Combine all salad ingredients. Toss to mix well.
- Prepare dressing and pour over top. Toss and serve.
- Combine all dressing ingredients at least an hour in advance. Refrigerate until ready to use.
We loved this salad - what a great meal for a blazing hot day. Super tasty and the dressing is awesome. I did have a mini-meltdown while making it though. I am not as familiar as some with Mexican and southwest flavours so when I saw chili and cumin to taste I was at a loss as to where to start. I posted in the Q &A forum here and was given a rough ratio of 2-1 chili powder to cumin. I'm really glad I checked because I would have blithely used equal parts cumin and chili which I gather could have made this very nasty. For other 'beginner' Tex Mex cooks I used 1 Tbsp of chili (it was a mild one) and just a little over 1 tsp each of cumin and garlic powder.
Thanks for the great meal! Made for The Bistro Babes ZWT 8
Excellent salad. I did not have any kidney beans so I used black beans instead. Also was out of black olives. I really like the dressing with the combination of the mayonnaise and salsa, I used more cumin than suggested! Will definitely make this again. Made for ZWT8 and The Wild Bunch.
Made for your Football Pool win & finding this recipe among your collection was like going home to Dallas to dine w/old friends. All but 1 of these ingredients are staples for me, so I will admit up front that I left out the kidney beans (not a fan at all). I was otherwise in Tex-Mex heaven. Thx for making losing the Football Pool seem like a reward. :-)