Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
I made this for breakfast yesterday. Had a wonderful creamy texture, not to mention the great cheese flavor. Increase the spices if you like hotter.
Top Review by Michaela
I made this for breakfast this morning to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. The family and I loved it. Had a creamy texture with plenty of flavor and color from the peppers and onion. Lots of cheese which makes it so yummy. Thanks Nurse Di.
- 1 cup uncooked regular grits
- 8 ounces shredded Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) packageshredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare grits according to package directions.
- Stir in Velveeta cheese until melted.
- Mix together the milk and eggs; add to the grits mixture and stir to combine.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat; add the onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and green chiles.
- Saute, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Add the onion mixture, 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste to the grits mixture; stir to combine.
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheddar cheese and bake 5-10 more minutes.