Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
How much fun is that?!!! Now THAT'S a party! *Note: Kozmic Blues made this for me and let me know how boozy it was! Yikes!! So I would definately say to take her advice on the tequila and start with HALF of the amount first!! Thanks, Koz for the head's up!!! :)
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped and drained
- 2 tablespoons tequila, start with half the amount
- In large bowl combine first 7 ingredients.
- In medium saucepan, heat milk til warm.
- Stirring, add cheese mixture.
- Slowly stir til melted.
- Stir in chilies, tomatoes and tequila.
- Heat through.
- Serve with tortilla chips or sliced french bread.
I made half of this with a few changes: I used Chihuahua cheese instead of Jack and mild Cheddar because that's the only one I could get. Also, I used jalapenos for the chilies and added a little seasoning salt. For the tequila I used about two teaspoons (maybe more!) and it came out perfect. My DH doesn't like cheese dips and he gobbled this one up! Thank you Kelly! Made for Bevy Tag 7/09.
This was a pretty good dip. Quick to make and we loved the tequila flavor. I did only use half of the amount. We thought it was just a bit bland however. Not that the tequila overpowered the dish, just that the cheese and chili flavor wasn't strong enough. Might try again using more of a cheddar to jack ratio and using a spicer pepper. Thanks for sharing!
I'm a huge fan of Mexican cheese dips, but this did not work out quite as I had hoped. I made the recipe exactly as written, and I even used 2 tbsp of REALLY nice tequila, however all of us felt that the tequila flavor really overpowered the dip. Perhap 1 tbsp might have complimented the cheese, tomatoes and chilies a little bit better