Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My daughters mother-in-law has a catering service. this is her recipe. everyone says that it tastes like the dip that Mexico Chiquito serves in the Central Arkansas area.
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin (I use the seeds)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 slices cheese
- pickled jalapeno pepper (plus juice to taste)
- On low heat stir margarine and flour together.
- Remove from heat and add mustard, chili powder, cumin.
- Return to heat and add milk, garlic and cheese.
- Cook on low heat until thick.
I tried this tonight after looking at dips that didn't use Velveta...
I have a very picky teen who things queso is a food group and she gave this 5 stars.
I did leave out the mustard, added a little red pepper and only used 3 slices of cheese plus grated cheddar. It was great and has been requested "more often". thanks