Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Posted by request.
Make and share this Mexican Charro Beans recipe from Food.com.
- Rinse and pick over beans.
- Bring the beans to a boil in a large pot of water and cook over medium heat for 1½ to 2 hours until they tender but still firm.
- Before the beans are done, fry the bacon in a large skillet until halfway cooked.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, onions, and green pepper; continue cooking with bacon until the bacon crisp.
- Add a can of beer to bacon mixture and simmer a few additional minutes, or longer if you like your beans softer.
- Add chopped cilantro and jalapenos; combine everything in one large pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Brother-in-law doesn't like beans and declared this a keeper! Made it exactly as stated. Great recipe. Mom said to put beans in pot, cover in water and add 1/4 cup baking soda. High heat until the beans are creating a large foam. Drain, rinse and repeat one more time. Takes the gas out and no need to soak overnight.
I would drive pretty far to the only Mexican restaurant I know who served these, but I don't have to anymore. These were fantastic. The only changes I made were I didn't have any green pepper in the house and I used Louisiana hot sauce in place of the jalapenos. I wasn't sure if I was going to use the beer since my kids were eating this, but it didn't taste right without. As soon as I added it, that is exactly what was missing. I also used canned pinto beans just because it's soo much faster. The whole dish took about 20 minutes to make.
This dish is fantastic! The only thing I would do different next time is to fully cook, to a crisp, the bacon. When I cooked it according to the instructions, I couldn't get my bacon crisp after adding all the other ingredients. I used a full bodied beer and it is a great added flavor! I definitely would make this again.