Recipe by dawnrshaw
This is a delicious Mexican Casserole recipe with only 6.5 weight watcher points per LARGE serving! YUM! (on the new, Points Plus system of Weight Watchers, this recipe is 9 points)
Top Review by KimRaber
I am giving this 5 stars for several reasons (1) my husband, teenage son, and college-aged daughter all loved it and went back for seconds. That right there is hard to find! I'd call THAT a rave review! (2) Easy to prepare with many common ingredients I often keep on hand. I substituted flour tortillas, but think corn tortillas might have actually been better. (3) Low fat ingredients = low WW PointsPlus value! Everything in this recipe (other than tortillas) can be a "filling food" making this an excellent WW meal! (4) Huge servings! In inadvertently forgot to cook a vegetable making this the only thing on our plates. It was plenty to fill my belly. (5) Great and versatile flavor. Others have talked about adding more taco seasoning but I thought it was perfect as is. It is easy enough to top with hot salsa if you want to add some heat. I served without extra toppings, but I think the addition of cilantro (as suggested), some baked tortilla ships, salsa, and black olives would really take this to a higher level.
Sadly, my husband and kids ate all of it at dinner tonight so no leftovers for me. I will definately make this again as my husband said "This one is a keeper!" Thanks for sharing!
- 453.59 g extra lean ground beef (drained or rinsed!)
- 118.29 ml onion (chopped)
- 59.14 ml canned jalapeno slices, chopped
- 473.18 ml fresh tomatoes, chopped or 425.24 g candiced canned tomatoes
- 425.24 g can kernel corn (drained)
- 425.24 g can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 35.43 g package taco seasoning mix
- 8 corn tortillas
- 177.44 ml nonfat sour cream
- 78.07 ml reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 0 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, to taste (or less (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and chopped onions in large skillet; brown 10 to 12 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring constantly. Drain well and rinse with warm water to remove all fat; return beef/onions to skillet.
- Add corn, black beans, tomatoes, chilies/jalapenos and taco seasoning mix; mix well. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile spray 12x8-inch (2-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut each tortilla in half; place 8 halves in bottom of sprayed baking dish, overlapping slightly.
- Spoon half of beef mixture evenly over tortillas. Spoon sour cream over beef mixture; spread evenly. Top with remaining 8 tortilla halves and remaining beef mixture. (Cover tightly with foil & Freeze for later OR cook as directed below…).
- (Thaw overnight if frozen) Heat oven to 350ºF. Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese. Cover; let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with fresh chopped lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, black olives, etc… /.
- Makes 6 large Servings at 6.5 weight watcher pts/each.