Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Wonderfully different salad! Great topped with grilled steak or chicken or as part of a Mexican themed dinner...
For Cilantro Pepita Dressing
- 1 (4 ounce) canof chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons roasted pepitas (pumpkin or squash seeds)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated Cotija cheese (see note*)
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, stemmed
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons water
FOR THE SALAD
- 2 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, rinsed and spun dry
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into 2 halves, then into thin strips
- 1⁄2 cup pepitas (roasted pumpkin or squash seeds)
- Place all dressing ingredients except cilantro, mayo and water in a blender or food processor. blend approx 10 sec., then add cilantro and blend until smooth.
- Place mayo & water in a glass jar or bowl and shake or whisk until combined - add the blended ingredients and mix thoroughly. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate, will keep for 3 days.
- Cut tortillas into match sized sticks. Heat oil in saute pan over med-high; fry tortillas until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Tear lettuce into bite size pieces, toss in large bowl with half of the crumbled cheese, roasted peppers, pepitas and as much salad dressing as you wish. Top with the remaining cheese, roasted peppers, pepitas and fried tortilla strips.
- NOTE***Cojita is a hard cheese, similar to parmesan, found in some grocery stores and most mexican markets. To make assembly easier I often use crumbled tortilla chips. I also buy the jarred roasted red peppers packed in water & already roasted pepitas - I'm too lazy to roast my own! I've also subbed shelled, roasted sunflower seeds for the pepitas - and it was ok (not as good as the pepitas).
The best dressing especially when adding the diced roasted red peppers with steak or chicken on top very very yummy
I LOVE this salad - was given a very similar recipe by my sister but it was really heavy on the oil and mayo. The lighter version is FAB and it's great topped with grilled chicken or shrimp. I also use the dressing for coleslaw - it's quickly become one of our favorite salads
I know I've had this at your house, but I finally made it myself. I took it to a Mexican themed Christmas Eve dinner and everyone loved it. Thanks for a great recipe!