Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is adapted from La Dolce Vegan cookbook. I really loved this because it was quick, simple, and layered all in ONE dish. I served it with some cumin scented rice and some salsa on the side. The original recipe called for 1 avocado, but I had 2 VERY ripe ones on hand and did not want to waste them. Feel free to use lemon OR lime juice. Pinto beans will also work well here too. I listed the vegan cheese as "optional". I am sometimes "iffy" with vegan cheese (taste, meltability etc.), but every now and again it's ok. I do like "Follow Your Heart" brand Monteray Jack and Mozzarella (available here in supermarkets) Keep in mind these need to be heated to at leat 450 degrees to melt, so for the recipe below, I turned up my oven for the last 10-15 minutes of cook time. This recipe also is WONDERFUL without the vegan cheese, so feel free to skip it
- 2 avocados, ripe
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 -3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tofu sour cream (homemade or Tofutti brand)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegan cheese, grated (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mash together the avocado, garlic, scallions, "sour cream" and lime juice until smooth.
- In another bowl, mash together black beans, salsa, jalapeno, chili powder and cumin.
- Spray and 8" pie plate with cooking spray and begin the layers.
- Place a tortilla, half the bean mixture. Follow with another tortilla then half the avocado mixture topped with 1/2 cup cheese (if using).
- Continue with another tortilla, remaining beans, followed by another tortilla, remaining avocado topped with cheese and the last tortilla.
- cover pie plate with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, top with remaining cheese if using, and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Cut pie into wedges and serve.