Kozmic Blues's Note:
This recipe is adapted from La Dolce Vegan cookbook. I really loved this because it was quick, simple, and layered all in ONE dish. I served it with some cumin scented rice and some salsa on the side. The original recipe called for 1 avocado, but I had 2 VERY ripe ones on hand and did not want to waste them. Feel free to use lemon OR lime juice. Pinto beans will also work well here too. I listed the vegan cheese as "optional". I am sometimes "iffy" with vegan cheese (taste, meltability etc.), but every now and again it's ok. I do like "Follow Your Heart" brand Monteray Jack and Mozzarella (available here in supermarkets) Keep in mind these need to be heated to at leat 450 degrees to melt, so for the recipe below, I turned up my oven for the last 10-15 minutes of cook time. This recipe also is WONDERFUL without the vegan cheese, so feel free to skip it
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 avocados, ripe
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 -3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tofu sour cream (homemade or Tofutti brand)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups vegan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a small bowl, mash together the avocado, garlic, scallions, "sour cream" and lime juice until smooth.
- 3In another bowl, mash together black beans, salsa, jalapeno, chili powder and cumin.
- 4Spray and 8" pie plate with cooking spray and begin the layers.
- 5Place a tortilla, half the bean mixture. Follow with another tortilla then half the avocado mixture topped with 1/2 cup cheese (if using).
- 6Continue with another tortilla, remaining beans, followed by another tortilla, remaining avocado topped with cheese and the last tortilla.
- 7cover pie plate with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- 8Remove foil, top with remaining cheese if using, and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- 9Cut pie into wedges and serve.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Burrito Pie
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.6
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 278.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tofu sour cream
whole wheat tortillas