These are savory, spicy burgers that are made even tastier with spicy mayo, avocado slices, a fried egg and pico de gallo. Add cheese if you like, or maybe even bacon. I'm sure these would taste great if cooked on a grill, but I pan-fry them.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 serrano pepper, stem removed
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (I use the light kind- works great)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons hot sauce (I like Cholula in this)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (if pan-frying)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 hamburger buns, sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- pico de gallo
- Put the first 10 ingredients (cumin through onion) in a food processor and puree. Add half of the ground beef, and pulse to combine everything well.
- Put the rest of the ground beef and one tablespoon of cilantro in a large bowl. Add the beef-spice mixture and stir to combine well. Form this mixture into four burger patties.
- Mix the remaining cilantro with mayo, hot sauce, and lime juice. Add salt & pepper if desired- I usually don't. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties, flipping once, for about 12-15 minutes, or until desired doneness.
- Just before the meat is done, melt butter in a separate pan, then crack the eggs into it and cook until whites are firm and yolks are runny, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spread the mayo on both inner sides of the buns, then place down avocado slices, meat, fried egg, and pico de gallo. Serve!