Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
We have enjoyed this dish from the Denver Post since the '70's. It's a filling, versatile type of a taco salad and/ or burrito filling.The rice makes the sauce wonderfully thick. My kids really love it! I like to serve both corn chips, tortillas, little bowls of chopped lettuce, avocado, green onions, sliced black olives, shredded cheddar cheese, etc. and let each person BUILD-UP their own plate. (If you have some already cooked frozen ground beef (OAMC) this can be assembled quickly). Warning: this is so good you will overeat every time you make this meal (if you're anything like me!)
Top Review by Gerry
This is one that is going to be seeing a good many repeats at our house. That everyone loved it was evident, it had almost disappeared before I got to the eating! Other then having to add green chilies to a can of tomatoes I made as posted. Another great tasting recipe for the family cookbook! Thank you Roxygirl.
- 1 1⁄3 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste (fill cans 3 times with water)
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice (I use Minute Rice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef and onions lightly.
- Add tomatoe sauce, paste, water, tomatoes with green chilies, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, sugar, garlic, and cooked rice.
- Mix lightly, but thoroughly, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- (Mixture should be thick or add additional rice and simmer extra.).