Recipe by Pryjmaty
I came up with this yummy & filling recipe one day when I just couldn't decide what to cook. I started throwing a bit of this and a bit of that together and my b/f said it was one of the very best things he'd ever eaten in his life. Don't let all the ingredients or steps intimidate you...it's actually quite easy to make.
- 1⁄2 lb breakfast sausage
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded frozen hash browns
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, liquid reserved
- 3⁄4 cup chunky salsa
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro, divided
- 4 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1 (1 ounce) packageinstant hollandaise sauce (I use Knorr brand)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons queso cheese sauce
- 8 flour tortillas, burrito size
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the sauce:.
- In a med. bowl, mix the instant hollandaise sauce with milk and blend well.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and liquid from the sliced mushrooms. Whisk until lumps are gone.
- Stir in 1 tsp dried cilantro, garlic powder, cumin and chili powder. Set aside.
- For the filling:.
- Crumble sausage in a large non-stick skillet. Add chopped onion and frozen, shredded hashbrowns.
- Cook over medium heat until sausage is browned and onions are tender. (No need to drain as the grease from the sausage helps the hashbrowns to fry properly).
- Add salsa and mix well. Cook until most of the liquid from the salsa is gone; about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with 1 tsp dried cilantro, salt & pepper.
- Pour the eggs into the meat mixture and cook, stirring often, until eggs are cooked through.
- To assemble:.
- Spray a 13x9 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon 1 C of the sauce onto the bottom of the dish.
- Take a tortilla and place a small handful of the cheese on it. Top the cheese with 3 T (more or less to taste) of meat/egg filling.
- Fold the bottom of the tortilla up over the filling. Fold in each side over the filling and roll completely.
- Place it in the pan; seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Mix 1 C cheese into the sauce and pour over the enchilladas.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove foil and top with remaining cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes to allow cheese to melt.