Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
A different egg casserole. Your kitchen will smell like a Mexican restaurant and you will be impatient for this to come out of the oven, I guarantee it!
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1/4 pound) or 1⁄2 cup margarine (1/4 pound)
- 1 bunch green onion (or more, to taste)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (or more, to taste)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (i.e. Ortega or Ro-Tel brand)
- 1 lb longhorn cheese
- 1 dozen egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk (approximately)
- 1 lb sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the green onion, setting aside some of the green rings for garnish. Reserve.
- In a bowl combine the canned green chilies and the tomatoes & chilies; reserve.
- Grate the cheese; reserve.
- Melt the stick of butter in a large skillet. Cut or tear tortillas into bite-sized pieces and soften in the melted butter over low heat. Do not allow to become crisp. Remove from skillet and reserve.
- Mix the eggs and milk together using a whisk. Soft-scramble the eggs in the same skillet to a moist, custardy stage.
- Assemble the casserole in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish, layering in this way:.
- 1/2 of softened tortillas.
- 1/2 of soft-scrambled eggs.
- 1/2 of sliced green onions.
- 1/2 of chilies mixture.
- 1/2 of sour cream.
- 1/2 of shredded cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Garnish with reserved green onion rings. (Casserole may be made ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Near serving time, uncover, the casserole and bake at 350 degrees until bubbly, about 30 to 45 minutes. (Use the longer time if the dish has been made ahead.).