Recipe by FloridaNative
This is a tasty combination. I got this recipe from a friend. I use the French lentils as they do not break apart as much as red or yellow lentils.
Top Review by Stephie Biggs
I really enjoyed this. The flavoring is very sublte but perfect. I did use MEXICAN stewed tomatoes and omitted the cayenne. I didn't quite understand the part about setting aside the liquid of the tomatoes, just to turn around and put it into the pot, so I didn't do that and it turned out fine. THANKS!
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped, with liquid set aside
- 1 (13 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice or 1⁄2 cup basmati rice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)