Recipe by Suzy_Q
Delicious as a side dish to Mexican fare or as a vegetarian taco filling. Easy, cheap and healthy with tons of flavor. My extremely picky boyfriend not only ate this but actually complimented me on it! You may use fresh onion if you like but picky bf doesn't like it so I use the powder. This is also nice garnished with fresh cilantro if you have it.
Top Review by Corrina P.
this was outstanding.. despite the last and only reviews.... the flavor was great and spices were wonderful..i did omitt the hot peppers and replaced them with a can of mild green chilies.. i made the rice for my homemade enchiladas and it was a big hit for a family gathering. Only negative is it takes a long time to cook... but well worth it. cory Wisconsin.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 bouillon cube
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter or oil with lime juice in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the rice and stir until the rice gets heated.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir well, reduce heat and cover.
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and rice is fully cooked.