Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Another recipe from a low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium cookbook.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green chilies, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- black pepper
- Spray a large iron skillet with vegetable spray. Add oil and water. Add rice and stir until rice is hot. Add more water if necessary.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover, reduce heat, and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 35-45 minutes.
I made this recipe to go with some blackened steelhead trout yesterday. The flavor was very nice and I loved the fact that it used brown rice instead of white (trying to eat more fiber and less processed foods). Unfortunately, it came out sort of crunchy, and we would have preferred softer fluffier rice. I did add about 1/2 cup more water, but apparently that wasn't enough. I think it needs at least another cup of water. Maybe that was because my tomatoes weren't too juicy, so perhaps it varies depending on the juiciness of the other ingredients added.