Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: I grew up eating mexican food for breakfast, and knew I wanted to develop something that reminded me of home. This is an easy, savory breakfast that anyone can put together in the morning. It's not overly time consuming, and the end result is a beautiful breakfast meal. The avocado pico is the perfect compliment to the cumin spiced potatoes, black beans, and eggs. Top with sour cream if desired. Enjoy!
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (1 lb) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
- To make the tortillas, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in large frying pan. Place over medium-high heat. Add the tortillas one at a time and fry until golden brown and crispy, about 1 minute each side. Use a tong to transfer to paper towl covered plate. Set aside.
- Next, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium-high heat in the same frying pan used to fry the tortillas. Add the entire package of Simply Potatoes Diced Potato with Onion, diced red pepper, black beans, cumin and salt to pan; stirring to coat potatoes evenly. Cover and cook the potatoes 10 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine avocado, diced onion, diced tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, and lime juice together in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- Next, heat a large non-stick frying pan on medium. Add butter to frying pan. Beat eggs and milk together in a medium bowl for about 2 minutes. Add the egg mixture to pan. Once eggs begin to set, stir and fold eggs over until no visible liquid remains. Remove from heat.
- Assemble each tostada by topping with the potato black bean mixture, scrambled eggs, avocado pico, and 1 tablespoon of goat cheese. Serve extra potato/black beans on the side. Enjoy!
What an easy and tasty meal! Will make it often.
Awesome recipe. Love it. Very simple to make.