Recipe by David S #2
This delicious, healthy, and filling breakfast can be a departure from the norm and is very quick and easy despite the daunting number of ingredients. Having been served something similar many years ago, I devised my own rendition and have been serving it for more than 15 years. The concoction begs creativity; I will often add, or replace some of the ingredients with, leftover black olives or pemenintos, chorizo, andouille, taco meat, etc.
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
As my photo will tell you, this wasn't the most photogenic food I've ever made, but it definitely was tasty! I used up the last of my Easter ham in this (finally, yay!). I mashed my own beans instead of using storebought refrieds, and I used fried eggs. I used Herdez salsa verde on the eggs, and topped the whole thing off with some Bufalo salsa rojo and some diced fresh serrano pepper. It looked like quite the mish-mash by the time I was done assembling it, but it was delicious nonetheless (hey, flavor doesn't have to be pretty, right?). Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2013
- 3 tostadas (crispy corn tortillas)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup ham, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1⁄2 diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup grated mexican 4 cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 small diced tomato
- 1 -2 tablespoon green tomatillo sauce
- salsa verde, per serving
- jalapeno pepper (pickled or diced fresh)
- hot sauce, salt, and pepper to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On stove top, heat the refried beans incorporating ½ the diced onions, ½ the grated cheese and the olive oil.
- Bake tostadas and diced ham in oven -- about 6 minutes -- then remove.
- Dab a teaspoon or so of the beans onto the center of each of three plates, centering a tortilla on each -- this step is very necessary.
- Liberally spread bean mixture onto each tortilla.
- LayerÂ“ the remaining cheese, the ham, lettuce, and tomato on each.
- Fry eggs according to liking (best over-medium) and nest one atop each.
- Top with tomatillo/verde sauce.
- Garnish with onions and jalapenos. Hot sauce optional or as desired.