Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this on www.self.com. It sounds really good, placing it here for safe keeping.
- 3 ounces chorizo sausages, uncooked (spicy Mexican sausage)
- 6 ounces ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant minced garlic
- 1 cup Baby Spinach
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat jalapeno cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" by 13" baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the bread cubes in a single layer in the bottom of the pan.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, ground mustard, salt, and black pepper together, set aside.
- In a skillet, brown the chorizo and ground turkey until cooked through then add the onion and bell peppers and saute until tender. Add garlic and saute a minute more and then add spinach and cook just until spinach wilts.
- Layer half of the meat and veggie mixture over the bread, then half of the egg mixture, then half of the cheeses.
- Repeat the layers once more until all ingredients have been used.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until cooked through, uncovering for the last 5-10 minutes so the cheese will brown slightly on top.
I saw this recipe about a year ago & have been wanting to make it. Finally did it today and it was awesome! I did make a few changes - used all chicken chorizo for the meat and left out the bread (and decreased milk) to make it South Beach Phase 1 friendly. I also used all light mexican cheese blend rather than bothering with the 3 different types of cheese. It made for an AWESOME low carb breakfast casserole! I will definitely make this one again.