Recipe by Bergy
Bolillos next to the Tortilla is a staple to Mexico. Nearly every villiage has a Bakery and every bakery makes Bolillos, Fabulous for breakfast with a little butter and fresh fruit. Bolillos go stale quickly and are at their best right from the oven . Great for any meal where you want a crisp roll
- 1 (7 1/4 g) package active dry yeast or 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lard or 1 tablespoon shortening, melted and cooled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄4-4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle yeast over the warm water in a large mixing bowl; stir and let stand 5 minutes.
- When the yeast is working a bit stir the honey, lard and salt into the yeast mixture.
- Add 2 1/2 cups flour.
- Mix at low speed and then beat at medium speed until the dough is very elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually stir in as much of the remaining flour as needed to make a soft dough.
- Knead on floured surface until dough is smooth in texture and very elastic, 15-20 minutes (use a dough hook on your mixer and knead for about 10-15 minutes).
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turn the dough so all surfaces have a sheen of oil.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour (I turn on the light in the oven and place the dough in there to rise, do NOT heat the oven!).
- Punch the dough down and knead briefly on a floured surface.
- Divide dough into 10 pieces and roll into balls.
- Work with the palms of your hands and start at the center of each ball to roll out into ovals.
- Each piece should be about 5 1/2" long and 2" in the middle, tapering to each end.
- Place rolls on a greased baking sheet, cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat oven to 375F degrees.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water, heat stirring constantly to boiling, boil until thickened and clear about 2 minutes.
- Brush each roll with the cornstarch mixture.
- Slash each roll down the middle stopping about 1/2" from each end and cutting about 1/2" deep.
- Bake until the rolls are brown and sound hollow when tapped, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from baking sheets and cool on racks.
- Serve warm & fresh from the oven.