1/7 Photos of Mexican Bolillos, Crusty Oval Rolls
2 hrs 30 mins
Bolillos next to the Tortilla is a staple to Mexico. Nearly every villiage has a Bakery and every bakery makes Bolillos, Fabulous for breakfast with a little butter and fresh fruit. Bolillos go stale quickly and are at their best right from the oven . Great for any meal where you want a crisp roll
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sprinkle yeast over the warm water in a large mixing bowl; stir and let stand 5 minutes.
- 2When the yeast is working a bit stir the honey, lard and salt into the yeast mixture.
- 3Add 2 1/2 cups flour.
- 4Mix at low speed and then beat at medium speed until the dough is very elastic, about 5 minutes.
- 5Gradually stir in as much of the remaining flour as needed to make a soft dough.
- 6Knead on floured surface until dough is smooth in texture and very elastic, 15-20 minutes (use a dough hook on your mixer and knead for about 10-15 minutes).
- 7Place dough in a greased bowl, turn the dough so all surfaces have a sheen of oil.
- 8Cover and let rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour (I turn on the light in the oven and place the dough in there to rise, do NOT heat the oven!).
- 9Punch the dough down and knead briefly on a floured surface.
- 10Divide dough into 10 pieces and roll into balls.
- 11Work with the palms of your hands and start at the center of each ball to roll out into ovals.
- 12Each piece should be about 5 1/2" long and 2" in the middle, tapering to each end.
- 13Place rolls on a greased baking sheet, cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 25 minutes.
- 14Meanwhile heat oven to 375F degrees.
- 15Mix cornstarch and cold water, heat stirring constantly to boiling, boil until thickened and clear about 2 minutes.
- 16Brush each roll with the cornstarch mixture.
- 17Slash each roll down the middle stopping about 1/2" from each end and cutting about 1/2" deep.
- 18Bake until the rolls are brown and sound hollow when tapped, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from baking sheets and cool on racks.
- 19Serve warm & fresh from the oven.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Bolillos, Crusty Oval Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (834 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 169.1
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.2 mg
- Sodium 351.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 4.4 g