Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Good side dish to a Mexican entree.
Make and share this Mexican Black Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- fresh lime juice
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, chili and cumin and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add beans and broth and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Coarsely mash beans with potato masher.
- Continue boiling until thick, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
- I add the monterey jack cheese on top and microwave for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
So tasty! My husband loved it. The lime juice is a must and serving it with additional slices of lime is a good idea. I didn't have a jalapeno, so I added ortega diced chiles. Will definitely make this again.
Fantastic Beans! I have made this recipe many times since 02/2009. However, to give it that extra wow factor I add 1/2 chopped sweet onion, 1 packet of Sazon Goya Mexican seasoning packet and I use low sodium chicken broth. Very authentic.
So easy and delicious! I made this for a party and everyone raved about it. Goes well with mexcian dishes. I omitted the jalapeno and it still had a great taste. It sounds too easy and simple but is actually very good and tastes like you went to a lot of trouble! I will definitely make this again.