Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I looked all over for a recipe for black beans that included my favorite ingredients. When I couldn't find one, I started experimenting. These have become one of our favorite side dishes with Mexican meals. The lime juice adds a real tang to the recipe.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes (I use petite diced tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Saute bacon until crisp, then set aside.
- Drain all except 1 T bacon grease.
- Saute onion and jalapeno in remaining bacon grease.
- Add all remaining ingredients except bacon and simmer until beans are hot and tomatoes have reduced a bit.
- Top with bacon pieces.
- If you like more spice you can either leave some seeds in the jalapenos or add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
I thought these were delicious beans!! I used dry beans and cooked them off during the day then made up this recipe in the evening when i was ready. Served with chicken verde tostadas. I had them on the side but the family added them onto the tostadas which they really loved :)
THANKS for a great recipe!! I didn't add the bacon nor jalapeno pepper but I do use the bacon grease. I am sure they would be great in it. I serve this with taco's and I think it would be too much with those in it. I do reduce the tomato's and onion as well but other than that, this is an AWESOME recipe. The spices make it perfect! THANKS so much for posting!!
This was a nice side dish to go with tacos for dinner. An easy way to add favor to a can of back beans.