Recipe by Jami Robin
This soup is a mixture of two recipes that I have for black bean soup. I love the flavor and it is great by itself or as an addition to a Mexican dinner. This recipe uses canned black beans so there is no soaking them overnight and you can also use a slow cooker so you can leave the house while it thickens. I have also added cooked, cubed chicken breast or shredded pork roast to make it even more hardy.
Top Review by pidgie65
I have looked for years for a black bean soup that tastes like the soup I had in Mexico, and this is it. I do cut the chili powder in half because I have kids that don't like it at full strength, but this is incredibly delicious. Thank you for the recipe!
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (I use Rotel)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 4 cups chicken broth
- sour cream
- Mexican blend cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in large pot over medium heat until crisp, stirring frequently.
- Remove bacon and chop coarsely.
- Leave approximately 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in pan and add chopped bacon, onion, garlic, & bay leaf.
- When onion is tender, add tomatoes and seasonings and stir until aromatic.
- Add beans and broth.
- Cook at a slow boil until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours (you may also use a slow cooker on low-med heat for this last step).
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheese on top.