Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious vegetarian recipe found on Forks over Knives.
Make and share this Mexican Black Bean and Corn Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 5 cups homemade vegetable broth or 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium black beans or 7 cups cooked black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) cansalt-free unsweetened sweet whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 4 teaspoons roasted cumin or 4 teaspoons regular cumin
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped to garnish
- In a large pot, sauté the onion, celery, carrots and garlic in 1 cup of vegetable broth over medium heat for 6-7 minutes. Add chipotle chili powder, roasted cumin, and black pepper and cook for another minute or two. Stir in the remaining vegetable broth, 4 cups (or 2.5 cans) of beans, and sweet corn. Turn to high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add remaining 3 cups (or 1.5 cans) of beans and crushed tomatoes to a Vitamix or blender and process until smooth. Stir into soup when boiling, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes until beans and vegetables are done to your desired tenderness.
- Taste test. Add Herbamare or salt to taste and lime juice.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.