Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Here is a great casserole recipe. The sauce is wonderful and really makes the dish scrumptious. Don't be daunted by the long list of ingredients, it isn't difficult to make.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 ounces tomato sauce (canned)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese (grated)
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add 3 tbsp of flour and stir over medium.
- heat for 1 minute. Do not brown. Add chicken broth and milk. With a wire.
- whisk, stir mixture until it comes to a boil and add salt, garlic powder and.
- pepper. Continue to cook one minute more. Add the tomato sauce, sugar,.
- chili powder, paprika, oregano, ground cumin and cayenne. Stir well with a.
- wire whisk. Cook 2 minutes longer and remove from heat.
- Brown beef, mushrooms and onion in a large skillet; drain liquid, then add.
- sauce and mix well. Spray a baking dish, 8 or 9 inch round or square would.
- work. Cut each tortilla into 6 pieces and layer half of the tortilla pieces.
- in the bottom of the tins. Layer half of the meat mixture and half of the.
- cheese. Repeat layers. Let cool, cover with heavy duty aluminum foil and.
- store in freezer, or continue to baking instructions.
- Bake, covered, in a 375 degree oven. approximately 45 minutes.
- * Note: I sometimes leave out the mushrooms and instead add a can of black beans and some fresh or frozen corn kernels. You can easily add ingredients of your liking to alter the recipe, such as sliced black olives or some diced green chili.