Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Halves easily. See uses below in the directions. The beef will hold on low in the slow cooker for up to two hours before serving. Or prepare beef completely up to 48 hours ahead and refrigerate then rewarm on the stove top over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until heated through, or place in the slow cooker on low for 45 minutes to an hour or until heated through. You may cool the beef completely and freeze it (with cooking liquid) in an airtight container for two to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and reheat according to the directions above.
- 2041.16 g extra-lean beef tips (cubed for stew)
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 (822.13 g) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes (or regular stewed tomatoes plus 1/2 tsp. additional cumin and garlic powder)
- CROCKPOT METHOD:.
- Place the beef tips in the bottom of a 5-quart or larger slow cooker. Sprinkle chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper over the beef. Add both cans of tomatoes, with their juices, pouring them directly over the tips. Cover the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Stir well and serve immediately or store according to the directions in the description above.
- STOVETOP METHOD.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a 4 1/2-quart or larger Dutch oven. Brown the beef tips for about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the spices and both cans of tomatoes and cover the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer the beef for 3 1/2 hours or until the beef cubes are so tender that they fall apart. Stir and check the liquid level periodically and add water to keep moist but not soupy.
- How to use:.
- Over shredded lettuce for taco salad (with or without the shell and all the normal taco fixings)
- As a filling with Monterey Jack cheese for quesadillas
- As a topping for nachos or tostadas
- As a filling for burritos or tacos
- Paired with Monterey Jack cheese as a filling for a twist on a Philly cheese-steak sandwich.
Recipe was so easy and and very yummy!! Thank you so much for sharing. I used about half the meat but kept the same measurements for the seasonings to give it a real nice flavor. I also added flour to thicken the sauce towards the end and it was amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.