Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
Yummy tummy warming soup. Looks quite fancy when served in the tortilla bowls. Recipe is from the Beef Council.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 6 medium flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and onion; brown 4 to 5 minutes, breaking beef up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings. Season beef with cumin and pepper.
- Stir consommé, corn, tomatoes and water into beef. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile gently press tortillas into 6 individual microwave-safe (2-cup) soup bowls. Microwave, 3 bowls at a time, on HIGH 5 to 6 minutes or until tortillas are slightly crisp, Meanwhile gently press tortillas into 6 individual microwave-safe (2-cup) soup bowls. Microwave, 3 bowls at a time, on HIGH 5 to 6 minutes or until tortillas are slightly crisp, rotating and rearranging cups halfway.
- Stir cilantro into soup; spoon soup into tortilla bowls. Garnish as desired; serve immediately.