Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great way to make meat for tacos, burritos or nachos without having to purchase the taco seasoning!! This is a recipe from Taste of Home, that I changed slightly for our tastes.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced (small)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 4 taco shells, flour tortillas or 4 tortilla chips
- shredded cheddar cheese, sliced ripe olives, shredded lettuce, sour cream and salsa (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, oregano, garlic powder and paprka.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with taco shells. Garnish with toppings if desired.
I made this tonight to go on our homemade nachos! It was delicious! I loved the flavor, but my husband thinks it overpowered the other items on the nachos. I think that might be because we had more meat than usual, and less "other toppings" than at most restaurants. Next time I'll cut back just a little for each amount of spice. Thanks so much for sharing! **Update: I use this recipe EVERY time I make something that needs mexican style beef! I love that you can use the same measuring spoon for all the spices (at least I do) and the amounts are simple and easy to remember. Sometimes I skip the cornstarch depending on what the beef is used for and I never miss it - great flavor even without a "sauce" consistency. Thanks again for sharing! This is a staple in our house. :)
Instead of cornstarch, I use a roux of masa harina. It works in several dishes, from this 1 to chili, beef stew ( chicken, turkey, bison, etc) to shepherd's pie ( with lamb!) & I add more of whatever chiles i have on hand.
AWESOME!! I've tried other taco seasoning recipes from here and this one is the one for me from now on. Definitely not buying those packets anymore. I didn't have coriander and left out the cornstarch. Made for Everyday's a Holiday Tag Game 2013.