Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Serve this tasty mixture with hot rice for a filling meal. Preparation time does not include soaking beans. From Charmaine Solomon's "Complete Vegetarian Cookbook".
- 500 g dried red kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 capsicum, diced (green or red)
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, toasted
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 400 g canned whole tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup cheese, tasty, finely grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup spring onion, finely chopped (scallions)
- Wash dried beans well and soak in plenty of water for some hours, or bring to boil, turn off heat and leave covered for 2 hours.
- Drain, cover with fresh water and bring to boil, simmer for 1.5 hours or until tender.
- Drain, reserving a cup of the cooking liquid.
- Heat olive oil in heavy-based saucepan and cook onion, capsicum, garlic and chilli until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add oregano and cumin and fry for one minute.
- Add paprika, chilli, canned tomatoes with their juice, sugar salt.
- Bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes, stirring to break up tomatoes.
- Return beans and reserved cooking liquid to pan.
- Simmer, covered for 30 minutes longer.
- Serve ladled over rice and top each serving with a sprinkling of cheese, a spoonful of sour cream and chopped spring onions.