Recipe by Blakey
From the cookbook Vegetarian Gourmet - Easy Low Fat Favorites. I'm not a vegetarian, but try to eat low fat and healthy. This is full of flavor and great for guests as a side, or can be a main dish with a salad and bread.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained, but reserve liquid
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans (about 1lb can will work, drained)
- 1 (12 ounce) cancan light beer
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion begins to brown.
- Preheat onion to 375.
- Lightly oil a 2 1/2 quart casserole or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cumin, chili powder, sugar and coriander.
- Gradually add reserved tomato liquid, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- In prepared casserole, combine onion, flour mixture, tomatoes, beans, and beer. Mix well.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 hour.