Recipe by mollypaul
A zesty, hearty salad. To save time, canned beans rinsed and very well drained may be used. From the Southwest chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight soaking not included in the preparation time.
Top Review by sandy oxner
If you have not tried this recipe, you are really missing something. Very flavorful and better each day. I used canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed them then followed the recipe. Outstanding!!!
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika or 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash beans and soak in water overnight; drain and discard water.
- Add the two quarts of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook until tender but not broken.
- Drain and chill.
- Mix lightly with celery, onion and nuts.
- Blend oil, lemon juice, paprika or chili powder and remaining salt and pour over salad.
- Serve on lettuce leaves.