Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one easy cold - weather recipe the whole family will warm up to. For extra yumminess, add Mexican cornbread.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 8 ounces frozen okra
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans in chili sauce, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons Mexican chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- In a Dutch oven coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Stir in peppers and cook 3 - 4 minutes longer or until tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- Add frozen okra let cook to crisp tender.
We enjoyed this chili very much. The only thing I did differently was I accidentally opened a can of chicken broth instead of vegetable broth. Otherwise, I followed the recipe as stated. I will definitely make this again!