Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
The tortilla chips on the bottom form a crispy crust, I sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top of the casserole before topping with the remaining shredded cheese, but that is only optional. Sour cream and chopped tomatoes are a must served with this casserole.
- 2 1⁄2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 -3 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed (can use cooked cubed turkey also)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, washed and drained (can use garbonzo beans in place of black beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, washed and drained
- 2 cups canned corn kernels, drained (or use one 15 ounce)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa (I use spicy!)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 3 -4 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded (or cheddar cheese)
- 1 -2 large firm tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups sour cream (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the crushed tortilla chips evenly on the bottom of the dish.
- In a large bowl combine the cubed cooked chicken, beans, corn, tomato sauce, salsa, onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt and pepper; mix well to combine.
- Spoon HALF of the mixture over top of the tortilla chips in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 2 cups (or more if desired) shredded cheese.
- Cover with remaining half of the chicken/bean mixture, then top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes.
- Let stand for 5-6 minutes before serving.
- Spoon onto plates and top with sour cream and chopped tomatoes.