Recipe by Bergy
For best effect use a chafing dish and flambe at the table. Otherwise be quick from the stove to the table (don't trip) dim the lights and voila, ooohs and ahhs from everyone. Very luscious dessert and wonderful with the cold ice cream and the hot sauce. Romantic too!
Top Review by Lorac
I'm a chocolate fiend, but this dessert had me licking my plate! The Kahlua adds an incredible depth to the fresh fruit flavor. The flamming rum adds drama and a bit of spice. Thanks Bergy, this is a treasure.
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream (1 Pint)
- 4 bananas, peeled, cut lengthwise and into thirds
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup raw sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1⁄4 cup light rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Put scoops of Ice cream in four dishes and keep in the freezer until serving.
- Just before serving melt butter (margarine) in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat Stir in the sugar.
- Add Orange juice & Lime juice.
- Cook stirring frequently until the sauce has thickened 6-8 minutes.
- Add Kahlua.
- Add bananas to the sauce, cook turning the bananas gently, heat just through and turn in the sauce so they are all coated evenly.
- Heat the rum in a small saucepan over low heat for about 1 minute or until just warm (Do not allow to bubble).
- Pour rum over the hot banana mixture, immediately ignite (use a long match).
- Stir with long handle spoon until flame subside.
- Place bananas around the ice cream and spoon sauce over all.
- Serve immediately.