Prep 12 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 8 ounces canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed (reserve 2 tbsp. of the liquid)
- 4 ounces low-sodium tomato sauce
- 2 ounces sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 fluid ounces mexican beer
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, minced and seeded
- 3⁄4 teaspoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, tomato sauce, onion, beer, molasses, mustard, jalapeno pepper, Worcestershire sauce and red pepper flakes; mix well.
- Transfer to a 1-quart casserole dish and bake 45-50 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from oven; stir in cilantro and serve.
I really liked this recipe. The beans had a nice "kick" to them. If you don't like spicy food, omit the jalapenos.
These were really good. Not spicy enough for me. Next time will add more peppers. Thanks for the great recipe.
Good alternative to regular baked bean. I'm always looking for something different with a Tex-Mex flare to go with a Mexican casserole. This time I served with Recipe #191502 and Recipe #225290. I was a bit confused about the size of beans, I've never seen an 8oz size can of bean, so I ended up using 2 cans of the 15 oz cans and one 8 oz can of tomato sauce.