Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
WARNING: This is a versatile thick drink served hot!
- 1⁄2 cup fresh masa harina flour (corn dough) or 1⁄2 cup masa corn flour, masa harina,mixed with
- 1⁄4 cup hot water, to blend
- 5 cups water
- 3 -4 tablespoons piloncillo cones, chopped (or 1/4 cup brown sugar plus 2 teaspoons molasses)
- 1 cinnamon sticks, finely slivered (canella) or 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries or 1 cup pineapple chunk (optional)
- Place the water and the masa into the jar of a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a medium sized saucepan.
- Add vanilla extract and cinnamon into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture until it begins to thicken.
- Add the piloncillo or (or sugar, molasses combination) and continue to stir vigorously until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the mixture from the heat.
- At this point you could add pureed fruit such as strawberries or pineapple.
- Stir the fruit into the mixture and return it to the stove and heat over medium heat until the mixture is warmed.
- Serve hot, in mugs.