Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A recipe taken from an old Woman's Circle cookbook. A nice blend of seasonings, quick to fix and very tasty.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped and drained
- 1 (17 ounce) can kernel corn, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chili with beans
- 1 (8 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350.
- In skillet, cook onion in shortening until limp.
- Add tomatoes, corn, chili; mix until well blended.
- Pour into 12 x 8 inch baking dish.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package.
- Stir cheese into the muffin batter.
- Spoon batter mix around edge of baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- This is great with jalapeno pepper cheese as well as cheddar cheese.
Made this last nite and it really filled the bill! I had lots of homemade (no meat,soy crumbles) chili in the freezer, also frozen corn. I was concerned that it would not serve eight, no less my four hungry male students!, so I doubled up on everything. Had enough corn bread to cover the whole thing. I also chopped a serrano chile and added it to the topping. Served it with warm corn tortillas and a simple salad. The guys LOVED it. This is great for a meatless meal!