Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Better Homes & Gardens. These savory stuffed zucchini wheels can be made a day ahead: Prepare them up to the baking step; then cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate. About 25 minutes before serving, simply remove the wrap and bake.
- 3 medium zucchini (about 1-3/4 pounds)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (canned or fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat monterey jack cheese (2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Trim ends from zucchini. Cut the zucchini into 1-1/2-inch rounds. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4- to 1/2-inch shells. Chop enough of the pulp to make 1/3 cup.
- In a medium skillet cook garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the reserved zucchini pulp, the sweet red pepper, green onions, 1 tablespoon of the cilantro, and the jalapeno pepper. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Place zucchini shells in a lightly greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Fill each shell with pepper mixture. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 1 to 2 minutes more or until cheese melts.
- Sprinkle zucchini with the remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro.
- Serve with the Cucumber Raita - Mix together the above ingredients in a small bowl.