Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In the mood for something Mexican and/or cornbread?! This is a delicious combination of both and a real family-pleaser!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) canvacuum packed corn, don't drain
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sliced ripe olives (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Brown beef, onions, green pepper, and garlic over medium heat.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Heat through.
- Pour meat mixture into baking dish; I use a 13"x 9" pan.
- Make Cornmeal Topping: Mix milk, cornmeal, and salt in saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese and eggs; mix well.
- Immediately pour onto beef mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes, until golden.
- Serve with sour cream and any other of your favorite Mexican garnishes!