Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
I made this tonight with great reviews. The recipe game from Fix and Forget It Lightly. Thanks Marcia S. Myer for a tasty meal that doesn't require much work.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, trimmed of fat
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2-1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped,to taste
- 1⁄2 cup fat free low-sodium beef broth
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fat-free cheddar cheese
- cooked white rice
- Cut beef into 6 pieces.
- Place in slow cooker.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except cheese, and pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
- Sprinkle with cheese before serving.
- Serve vegetables over cooked white rice.
Made the dish and had to add some salt as the low-sodium/low-fat made it very bland and needed some flavor. With a little pinch of salt the flavor kicked in and it was excellent.
We love this dish! I have the same recipe in one of my Betty Crocker slow cooker books. The only change that I suggest is using pepperjack cheese for the topping. That little extra zip is a really tasty addition.
Made this yesterday- thought it was just ok. Not sure what was missing- the beef was really tender.Probably will not make again.