I got this recipe off of a card in the grocery store when I was traveling in Calif. in '01. I've been making it since. You could use any color bell pepper you wish. I find the green ones a little bitter. I like the red, yellow, and orange ones, and I'll reserve my opinion of the purple ones until I can taste one. ** After making this for years, I find that Schilling's brand Mexican Seasoning is a little hard to find. I recommend either using your own blend, or try one of the packaged taco seasoings, or Mexican seasonings. Any of them will work well. Any questions, please zmail me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl except 1/4 cup of the salsa, bell peppers and cheese, mixing with your hands until well-combined.
- 3Cut peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- 4Press meat mixture evenly into pepper shells and place in a shallow baking pan.
- 5Bake for 35 minutes or until cooked through (160°F).
- 6Top with remaining salsa and cheese; return to oven and bake 5 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexicali Meatloaf in Bell Pepper Shells
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 400.0
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 136.2 mg
- Sodium 987.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 28.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: