1/1 Photo of Mexicali Meat Pie
1 hr 25 mins
Julie in TX's Note:
My mother found this recipe in a Pillsbury Bake-Off cookbook in the mid 1960's. It is sooooo good! Our family always liked it with more heat, so we sometimes added jalepeno peppers or served it with salsa on the side, but it's good as is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell peppers or 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shreadded cheddar cheese
- 8 stuffed green olives, sliced
- 1Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Fry the bacon until it is crisp and break it into pieces.
- 3Put 1/2 cup of the bacon drippings in freezer and chill until firm.
- 4Brown the ground beef in a large skillet until it is brown.
- 5Drain off any grease.
- 6Add corn, bell pepper, onion, corn meal, oregano, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and the tomato sauce.
- 7Allow meat mixture to cool while you prepare the pie crust.
- 8PIE CRUST:.
- 9Combine the flour and cornmeal.
- 10Cut in the bacon drippings or shortening until the mixture is the size of small peas.
- 11Add the ice water a little at a time while stirring with a fork until the dough holds together.
- 12Roll into a ball and flatten to 1/2 inch.
- 13Roll out on a floured surface and place in a 9 inch pie plate.
- 14Flute the edge.
- 15Pour the meat mixture into the prepared pie crust.
- 16Bake in a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- 17While pie is baking, prepare topping.
- 19Combine egg, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, mustard, Worchestershire Sauce and cheese.
- 20Spread on the pie.
- 21Top with crumbled bacon and sliced olives.
- 22Put back in oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- 23Remove from the oven and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexicali Meat Pie
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.2
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 99.7 mg
- Sodium 796.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 21.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stuffed green olives