1/2 Photos of Mexicali Meat Burritos
7 hrs 10 mins
This delicious pork and bean mixture can also be used for tostados, enchiladas, tacos, etc. Can be made ahead and frozen. This would also work well in a slow-cooker or crock pot. This is from the Jr. League cookbook, "California Heritage Continues". Good for OAMC!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) boneless pork roast, well trimmed of fat
- 1 lb dried pinto bean (do not presoak)
- 4 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 24 -36 flour tortillas, warmed
- 1Preheat oven to 250°F.
- 2Place pork roast in a large Dutch oven.
- 3Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix well.
- 4Cover and bake in the oven for 7-8 hours or until beans are tender. I usually put it in the night before and cook overnight. Sometimes it takes a bit longer the next day, depending on how cold the ingredients are and how old the beans are!
- 5(Check from time to time and add more water if mixture gets too dry).
- 6When done, remove the meat from the pan and shred in bite-size pieces. (I find just stirring it well when it is done breaks up the meat sufficiently).
- 7Return meat to pan and stir.
- 8This should be the consistency of chili.
- 9Season to taste.
- 10To assemble, place a warm tortilla on a plate, top with Mexicali meat.
- 11Top with choices of condiments, fold in edges, and roll loosely.
- 12Chef Note: This is a perfect dish for OAMC/Bulk cooking. Freeze meal-sized portions in rigid freezer containers or Ziplock freezer bags. To use, defrost and reheat in microwave or on stovetop.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexicali Meat Burritos
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.4
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 77.9 mg
- Sodium 1005.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 37.3 g